Hello and welcome to the Year 6 page! We have an enthusiastic, experienced, committed and creative team in Year 6!
6LG – Miss Lewis and Mrs Gilmour
6H – Miss Hamilton
6S – Mrs Hitch
Mr Andrews, Miss Cowen, Mrs Parchment and Mr Sims also work with us throughout the week.
This is an important year for your child as we aim to develop their confidence, resilience and independence so they feel ready to move on to secondary school.
Of course, we do have a few tests (Wandsworth tests and the SATs) but the year is so much more than that: we want to instil inquisition, motivation and a love of learning which all children can take with them into their new schools. We encourage children to realise that there’s a purpose to their learning and that they can use their skills to make a difference in this world.
What we are learning this term
We like to ensure that learning is collaborative, relevant and challenging so that all children are engaged and achieve.
In the autumn term, we will be learning all about World War I and World War II as part of our ‘We are Historians’ topic.
In English, we will be using a variety of high-quality texts to develop both our fiction and non-fiction writing. We will also be looking at stories by Neil Gaiman during Reciprocal Reading sessions.
In Maths, we will consolidate and extend our understanding of place value to numbers up to ten million as well as focusing on the four number operations.
Please take a look at our curriculum map here.
How you can help at home
- Daily reading is an expectation in Year 6. Children need to bring their reading record and book into school every day. They can choose a book from the school library or home. It is still really important to listen to your child read at least 3 x a week - please record any reading at home in your child’s reading diary.
- Visit Mathletics: http://uk.mathletics.com Children have their own log-ins for Mathletics where they will be set weekly tasks to complete.
- Spelling – folders are sent out every Thursday and need to be completed and retuned on Tuesdays. They focus on the patterns we explore in school that week.
- Our P.E days are on Mondays and Wednesdays. Please can children come to school in their uniform and bring their P.E kits in a bag for this half term. Next half term it will switch to P.E in the morning so they need to come in their kits and bring their uniform in a bag.
Secondary School Transfer Deadline:
- Thursday 31st October 2019 (please talk to the teachers or the office if you need support with this).
Autumn Parents’ Meetings:
- Thursday 31st October, 4-6pm
- Monday 4th November, 4 – 7pm
Year 6 French Trip meeting for parents:
- Tuesday 12th November, 6pm
Year 6 Imperial War Museum Trip:
- 6H – Tuesday 26th November
- 6LG – Thursday 28th November
- 6S – Friday 29th November
Year 6 World War II Day:
- Thursday 5th December (costumes needed!)
Year 6 SATs week:
- Monday 11th May to Thursday 14th May, 2020
Year 6 French Trip to Boulogne-sur-Mer: